Pages

28/12/2014

Ways to Stay Organised.

Staying Organised


USING A DIARY AND DIGITAL CALENDAR
 - I use a diary, firstly to keep track of important dates and events (and birthdays!!). But I also like to write down deadlines for jobs that I have. I usually have a separate diary given to me at work, but use a Moleskine Diary for everything from noting down deadlines for freelance jobs, to-do lists and for personal use. I use Moleskines' because they are my favourite brand of journal. I like how they are set out, they have a useful pocket at the back for notes/receipts and I like how the look and feel. MC was kind to give a Soft Cover 2015 Diary to me for Christmas so I am already prepared for the New Year.
The built-in Calendar Apps on my iPhone/iPad/Mac are probably my digital favourite for keeping important dates synced across iCloud on all of my devices. I add everything to these calendars knowing that i can access it from everything depending where I am. It also gives you the option to colour code events and quickly switch your view from weekly/monthly and yearly.

TO-DO LISTS - I always write down lists ever since the days of revising for exams. I will then cross things out or 'tick' things off so I can visually see that I have achieved some of the tasks I have set myself, which keeps me motivated to get more done.
This is where my iPhone also comes in handy. I will write down a to-do list in the Notes section of my phone for personal projects, for example, I renovated my attic space back in October and had ONE week off to complete it. I wrote down everything I wanted to get done that week, including the materials I needed to buy and a shopping list for an Ikea trip. It was easy to check on the go, incase I saw last minute pieces I wanted to buy or if needed to change my schedule around. This again was synced across my other devices using iCloud. Simple.

NOTEBOOKS (or SKETCHBOOKS) - I take pens and paper almost everywhere I go because you never know when you need to make a note or you see something inspirational to jot down. I tend to use a sketchbook as I am more of visual notetaker. And again, I personally use Hardcover Moleskine Sketchbook because I love the quality. With a sketchbook, it is a continuous source of inspiration to support my creative work. For smaller quick scribble lists, I will turn to a small notebook gifted from friends that i keep near my desk. Its ring bound, so I can tear away pages when I no longer need that note. To go with my sketchbook, I keep a small case. (My current favourite is the Black and White Monki case my friend got me for my birthday!!). Inside I store a couple of mechanical pencils and my Parker Pen in for when I am out and about too. Its easy to grab and prevents pens hiding in the depths of my bag.

Staying Organised  Staying Organised

EMAIL MANAGEMENT- I have my email accounts linked to my devices so and I tend to check them as soon as they come through. I delete anything that I am not interested in straight away to leave me important emails at the top of email lists, so I can check them when I am at home and can pay full attention to them.

CLEARING THE CLUTTER - Keeping my workspace tidy and organised is a must. Dont get me wrong, it gets messy, especially when I have my art materials sprawled out everywhere. I do try to make a conscious effort to take 10 minutes at the end of each day to the tidy away things. I like to have a clean space to start working at the next day, otherwise my day just feels a little chaotic when I start off in a mess. I keep things I need to hand in cups and containers on my desk top and have materials and objects organised in my drawers accordingly. I have recently got a square cork-board to pin loose bit and bobs too.
As well as my work space, usually every week or two I go through my bag and just make sure there is only the essential items I need in there. I am terrible as throwing loose change and receipts into my bag, so I often end up with a little collection of things I need to sort out.


How do you stay organised? I would love to see some of your ideas.


Stay Creative, Stay Happy.


5 comments:

  1. Awesome article ♥ i love your blog ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I stay organized: I have a cluttered brain and put tasks in my phone randomly. I tried notebook keeping, but never spent money on a nice notebook therefore didn't want to keep it with me all the time and....

    I need to get a nice journal for keeping organized. Thanks for the inspo babe.

    http://aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always super organised but these tips would be definitely be useful to organisational newbies!

    With regards to your comment, I can't find who illustrated the Yeats anthology. It was published by Faber, though. I think the illustrations in The Resurrectionist were done by the author. You should definitely buy the Carver collection - it's a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lists are very important to me, if I keep them updated! I like to tick things off as well then create a new list each day with remaining tasks. Accomplishing the tasks is another story! Haha. Have a wonderful rest of 2014. :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this blogpost - I'm a person who gets stressed out easily so your post came in really helpful. I love the photograph you took as well!
    I am addicted to notebooks - I jot everything down and I couldn't think of living without one.

    Love, Sjoukje
    www.lemontierres.com

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou. Please leave a message or link your blog so I can stop by.


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.